Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Portraits

Portraiture has been a favorite topic among artists since the beginning. For me, there is little wonder why. It is a thorough examination of human life. Not only does the artist attempt to capture the physical texture of the body but also the certain light within the human vessel. The relationship between the model and the artist is at once intimate and detached. As a painter I find myself initially breaking my subject down into bits but once the pieces are arranged on canvas I return to my model with tenderness. The portraits that I am drawn to in museums and galleries inspire a feeling of recognition that I find compelling. Whether it's the way the light falls on the face, a look about the eyes, or the way the hands are folded, there is some element, however subtle, that is acutely familiar. Portraits are fascinating because they are timeless and personal. No matter how many centuries have lapsed the conditions under which the painting was created are physically present and real. Portraits contain mystery and magic that will continue to fascinate us.

No comments:

Post a Comment